Sunday, April 26, 2009

Removing a vine next to a Victorian house?

I have quite a serious vine growing up against the back of a Victorian house. The ground under the old encaustic tiles is sinking towards the vine so I guess I need to take it out. I've read the advice on how to kill the vine, but I have a couple of other questions:


1. Is there a best time of year to kill it?


2. It's right next to the house. One of the answers I read suggests that if you kill it and the roots are under the house, they'll rot, leave a gap and cause worse subsidence.The house is on a hill and the tiling on a verandah with a 3 - 4 foot drop to "ground level". So I'm figurting that the foundations would be pretty deep and so I'm probably safe unless the roots have eaten in to them. So is it best to cut it. leave it or get in a structural engineer?

Removing a vine next to a Victorian house?
You should kill it and remove as much of the plant as you can. If you are worried about structural problems caused by weak soil you can drive 4' spikes into the soil, pull them back out and fill the hole with sand and soil mix. That creates a "dense" soil near the foundation and you should not have any more problems.
Reply:Here at vinesforus. We hope we have solved this very aged problem. The main process to kill the vine, ( we have discovered is quite simple. ) DO NOT WORRY ABOUT THE VINES! Just knock the house down. Happy X-mas.


No comments:

Post a Comment