Sunday, April 26, 2009

Need recco: hardy, Climbing Vine for Southern California climate?

Last season, I worked very hard training Trumpet Vines up and over my patio cover. They were off to a good start, but we had an unusually cold winter. The vines died, and did not recover.





The main difficulty is finding a vine that will cover the entire patio cover. Most vines I see in the store grow to 15' maturity or less, and that is not enough. I am considering an Afghan Vine, no flowers, but large, dark leaves. I am not very concerned about flower color, etc, I just need the shade. Here are my specifications:





1. Hardy, fast growing vine


2. Southern California zip code 91710, Zone 9 I believe. Rich, fertile, Chino Valley (farmland) soil.


3. Trelice is 8' high, 20' wide, 12' deep, with three (3) upright supports, therefore three (3) planting places


4. FULL sun 3/4 of the day

Need recco: hardy, Climbing Vine for Southern California climate?
How about Morning glories? I have great luck with those here in San Diego. They grow super fast from seed.

Dog Teeth

No comments:

Post a Comment