Friday, November 18, 2011

Vine Wood . . Genus???

I got this question to do on a holiday assignment and the tree I got given was a Vine Tree.





"Identify which genus this wood belongs to"





Only I don't get what the question means, so I don't know the answer, and I can't ask my teacher cause I'm on holidays.





My parents don't know either of course. Can anyone help???

Vine Wood . . Genus???
Jeez, this took some research. I'm a plant fanatic, so I enjoyed it though.





Check out the link that follows. It's the only "vine tree" I could find that didn't refer to grapes in one way or another.





http://ajh-knives.com/xylo-3.html





Scroll all the way to the bottom and you'll find it.





I hope this is what your teacher is looking for! I exhausted all my gardening websites, and found a bunch more, before I was able to run this down. So thanks for asking the question - you actually did me a favor!
Reply:"Genus" is a class, kind, or group marked by common characteristics or by one common characteristic; specifically : a category of biological classification ranking between the family and the species, comprising structurally or phylogenetically related species or an isolated species exhibiting unusual differentiation, and being designated by a Latin or latinized capitalized singular noun.





The "Genus" for the Vine Tree is "Ventilator". So the Latin name for Vine Tree is Ventilator virginals.





Ventilator virginals, commonly known as Supple jack or Vine Tree, is tree native to Northern and Central Australia from coastal regions of Queensland to the central deserts of the Northern Territory.





The plant begins life as a scrambler, using other trees, shrubs and evens grasses for support. As it ages the stem becomes increasingly woody and the plant eventually develops a growth form more typical of a tree. The tree can reach 10 metres in height. Leaves are pendulous, grey-green and lanceolate. Flowers are green to green-white. Flowering season varies depending on rainfall.





Australian Aborigines eat the gum from this tree. They scrape it off as it comes through, twisting it onto a stick. It can be chewed like chewing gum. The supplejack in Arrernte is called Atnyerampwe, and the gum is Ngwarle atnyerampwe.





Good Luck!!


No comments:

Post a Comment